Sunday, June 10, 2012

A Better Burrito

Sometimes I see those ads on TV for Taco Bell burritos, and I almost (almost) want to eat one.   But then reason takes over, and I remember that those burritos are filled with cheap cheese, mystery meat, and fatty refried beans.  But what if... you could make a burrito at home that was delicious, cheap, quick, and healthy with all quality ingredients?  I've discovered the perfect make-at-home grilled burrito, and I'm here to tell you it's one of the best lunches I've ever made.

I saw the recipe in May's Cooking Light, and I knew I had to try it ASAP.  The great part about this burrito is that you can make a big batch of the filling and keep it in the fridge.   Then I had burritos for days on end with less than five minutes prep time!   If you're a Mexican lover like me, you must try these.

Chicken & Black Bean Grilled Burritos (adapted from Cooking Light)
(makes 3-4 burritos)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped in bite size pieces
1 c. chopped yellow onion
1 T. chili powder
1/2 T. cumin
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. ground pepper
2 t. canola oil
1 can Bush's low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
2 T. chopped pickled jalapenos (optional - will add a little heat)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
flour tortillas (soft taco size - I like Mission)
shredded pepper jack cheese
cooking spray
salsa (for dipping)
light sour cream (for dipping)

Combine cut up chicken, chopped onion, and all spices (chili powder through pepper) in a bowl.  Toss to combine.  Pre-heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat.  Add chicken and onion mixture and saute until tender (about 8 - 10 minutes).  Stir occasionally.  A delectable sauce will begin to form.  Then add in black beans, garlic, and jalapenos and cook until warmed, about 2 minutes.
In the center of a tortilla, spoon about 1/4 of the chicken mixture.  Don't be skimpy.  You'll be able to fold it over - promise.  I've been to Chipotle enough to know that you can fit a heck of a lot in a burrito.
Top each burrito with pepper jack cheese (or Monterey jack or cheddar... whatever floats your boat, but I recommend pepper jack.)  I make it a point never to measure cheese.  Paula Deen would be proud.
Next, channel your inner burrito maker and roll that baby up!  I like to fold the shorter sides up first, laying the tortilla flat against the chicken mixture.  Then, roll the bottom towards the top (away from you) tucking in the filling as you go so it stays tight.
Carefully spray both sides of the burrito with cooking spray and gently place SEAM SIDE DOWN in a skillet or griddle over medium high heat.  If you put the seam side down first, the cheese and heat will keep everything glued together.  When that side is browned (about 2 minutes), flip it over and brown the other side.
Remove from skillet, carefully cut in half, and serve with salsa and sour cream.  Repeat daily.  Trust me, you want this!!  It's also husband approved.

No comments:

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs