Saturday, January 10, 2009

Celine Confession and Obsession

Yep. I admit it. I have watched The Parent Trap over 25 times, sometimes I go to bed at 8:00, I made crock pot roasts in college, Britney Spears was once my idol, I listen to Phil Collins regularly, and I LOVE CELINE DION!!!!!!!!! I have loved Celine Dion since I was in middle school and my dad gave me my first Celine Dion CD (the green one). I was like, "Who is this? She doesn't look very cool." Well, I was wrong. Celine Dion is actually very cool. I have loved her music ever since then. Lindsay Smith (now Loucks) and I used to be OBSESSED with her and sang her songs as loud as possible with the windows rolled down (Usually "God Bless Us Everyone" from the Christmas CD. In June.) It has been my dream to see her in concert. Her show in Vegas was sold out when we went there last year, but, lucky me, she is on a world tour and came to Houston! I was lucky enough to have tickets to the show last night. I went with my wonderful team teacher, Lora, and two of our other teacher friends from school, Lindsay and Rachael. We had the BEST time. And, as teachers, we were pretty impressed with ourselves for staying out until almost midnight on a Friday!

It was one of the best shows I've ever seen. First of all, I think Celine Dion is the best female voice in the world. She is flat out amazing. Second, the girl knows how to put on a show. Below is a picture of her on her stage complete with about a hundred moving parts. I was entertained and enthralled the whole time! Of course Celine Dion can not wear just one outfit for a concert. I think she wore a total of five or six outfits, and they were all fabulous. She's very dramatic with everything, which makes for a good show. I also just really like her. She has this quality that makes you feel as if you are friends, even though you're watching her in an arena with thousands and you know this is the five hundredth time she's done this show.

I really waned to bring my camera, but if you know me, you know that I'm a rule follower to a fault. It said in big letters on the ticket "NO CAMERAS". So I made all my friends leave them in the car. Of course, EVERYONE had a camera, so I was mad and they were mad at me, but oh well. So I don't have any pictures that I took, but I found pictures of most of her concert outfits that I wanted to share!

She didn't wear this exact dress last night, but it was the same style and a purple color with plenty of sequins. It was very, very short. I could never wear it. She's 40. But whatever.
This was maybe my favorite outfit. Who else but Celine could pull off these ridiculous thigh-high strappy white leather boots with 4" heels? I know I couldn't pull them off, but do I want some? Uh... YEAH! I could wear them to teach the children, right?
Next Celine came out in a cape. Yeah, she did!! She pranced around stage with the cape fluttering behind her, and then one of her dancers came behind her and unsnapped it to use it as a bullfighting cape. You had to be there. It was awesome. The rest of the outfit consisted of tight leather pants, boots, and a completely sequenced sheath dress.
I should have known that with someone as dramatic as Celine, she would have an encore. Oh, yes, did she have an encore. She actually had two. Each with a different outfit change, light show, dance routine, and maybe some lasers and fireworks. The picture below is of her first encore singing "River Deep, Mountain High". I love that song. At one point, she pulls her "diamond" encrusted mic stand out of the holder and uses it as a baton to give a little twirling show. Wow. Her second encore is not pictured here, but she came out in a flowy black evening gown and sang (I totally called this, by the way), "My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic, complete with smoke, movie clips, etc.

If you get a chance to see her live, you just should. She's freaking awesome and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Katie

3 comments:

Liz said...

My parents saw her in Vegas and totally loved her, too. Granted, they are my PARENTS.... but we all know that they are pretty sweet. They also were obsessed with Bette Midler.... even worse. Though she does sing "over the shoulder boulder holder" doesn't she?!?!?

Lindsay said...

Say it loud, say it proud, Katie! I'm so glad that you finally got to see Celine! If I would've known how strongly you felt, I totally would've made Rachael switch seats with you!

Mindy Rives said...

I went to her show in Dallas last Monday....it was INCREDIBLE!!! I was lucky to see her in Vegas too. I'm also a Celine Junkie!!!

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs