Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Summer Sneak Peek

Although it got down to 37 degrees in Durham two nights ago, I was really craving a taste of summer.  With a little pre-planning, this meal can come together in 15 minutes or less at dinner time.  I made it as a light dinner before going to my Bible study on Monday night.  It's a light, flavorful meal, and it was perfect for me.  However, Brent claimed he had to eat 3 ice cream sandwiches afterward, so you  may want to include some bread or ice cream for your man :-)  In the morning, marinate your chicken in a large Ziploc bag.  Also in the morning, chop up fruit and make the fruit salad.  Stash everything in the fridge to get all yummy.  Dinner will come together in no time when you just cook the chicken & quinoa.
Lime Chicken
{Mom's recipe}
Pound chicken breasts thin, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and add them to a Ziploc bag.  Marinate with soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and lime juice.  I refuse to measure ingredients for marinades, so I encourage you to do the same.  I added soy sauce, Worcestershire, and lime juice in an approximate 2:1:1 ratio.  At dinner time, saute in a skillet over medium heat approximately 6 minutes per side or until cooked through.  Slice thinly.  If you have a grill, more power to ya, but I just used my lowly skillet, and I still got lovely "grill" marks.

Savory Tropical Fruit Salad
{Adapted from Cooking Light}
In a bowl, combine:
1 mango, diced
2 cups pineapple, diced
2 kiwis, diced
1 orange, diced
2 T. red onions, diced
2 T. cilantro, chopped
half of a small jalapeno, diced
1 t. ground cumin
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper

Cilantro Lime Quinoa
{Adapted from Pinterest}
Cook quinoa according to package directions.  I cooked 1 cup of quinoa for two people.
When cooked, stir in lime juice, chopped cilantro, and salt to taste.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I've loved your last 2 cooking posts! You are a fabulous cook and these "easy" recipes give me hope :)

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs