Friday, October 5, 2012

Superb Stuffed Shells


To this pregnant lady (and maybe you too), there is nothing better than a big pan of cheesy, saucy, stuffed pasta shell goodness.  I saw this recipe in the latest issue of Everyday Food, and I immediately put it on my weekly menu.  What pushes this recipe over the top is the slice of pepperoni on each stuffed shell.  Also, this dish has a full serving of veggies since there in an entire zucchini grated into the filling.  Your kids (or husband) will never know.  The zucchini adds a great flavor and freshness to the dish.  I usually bypass recipes like this because stuffing things seems tedious and time consuming.  HOWEVER, this was ridiculously easy.  Truly.  I promise.  It was great for a weeknight, and I think it was special enough to serve for company.  Plus, the leftovers... divine!  (If you have any!)

Pepperoni Topped Stuffed Shells

Ricotta filling:
20 ounces part skim ricotta
1 medium grated zucchini
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1 large egg, beaten
kosher salt and pepper
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
pinch of dried oregano

Shells:
3 cups marinara sauce, divided (I used Bertolli)
28 jumbo pasta shells, cooked according to package instructions
28 small pepperoni slices
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2.  In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, zucchini, basil, and egg.  Season with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and oregano.

3.  Spread 1 cup marinara in the bottom of a 9-by-13 baking dish.

4.  Fill each cooked and slightly cooled shell with 1 heaping tablespoon ricotta mixture and arrange in rows in baking dish.

5.  Top shells evenly with remaining marinara sauce.

6.  Place a pepperoni slice on top of each shell.  I used big pepperoni slices that I cut in quarters.

7.  Top shells with mozzarella.  Cover with foil and bake until bubbling (20 to 30 minutes).  Remove foil and broil until cheese is browned in spots, about 3 minutes.  Top with additional basil and serve.

YES, PLEASE.  
Make this tonight!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks delicious!

Mindy Rives said...

Yummy...I'll have to try this!

Haley Chance said...

When I see cheese like this, I'm like a fly attracted to the light. Oh, cheeeeeesssse...

Can't wait to try this... if I can just stop looking at it.

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs