Sunday, September 14, 2008

Norwood Refugee Camp Open For Business

Although Ike has gone, his presence is very much still here! I continue to be very, very grateful for the fact that we have power and water here at our building. We seem to be in an extremely small minority! We have talked to no one else who has electricity or even water! We are basically running a mini refugee camp here in our apartment. My cousin Melissa and her husband Robert stayed with us last night. It was fun to have guests! We're getting a little stir crazy here! Today we are expecting a lot more people (possibly 20 or more!) to come over to eat, shower, or spend the night.

To prepare for all our guests, we decided to scope out an open grocery store since we are running a bit low. We heard rumors about the Whole Foods opening this morning at 11am, so we dutifully drove out and got in line. The line wrapped nearly around the block! Above is a picture I took with my phone while we waited. After waiting patiently for an hour, we got to go in and get a few items. They had hardly any produce or meat, but we were able to pick up pasta, frozen pizza, and chicken. We're going to do some creative cooking!

School is cancelled for Monday and possibly more days after that. I never thought I'd say it, but I kind of want to just go back to work and return to normalcy! I feel guilty right now that we have power and water and no one else does, but we've extended an open invitation to pretty much everyone we know.

Below are pictures of the trees outside our building - every single one ripped up from the roots! More to come later!



Katie

1 comment:

Wendy and Luke said...

I don't know how we got so blessed. We have electricity and almost no damage. I think our street is the only one in the neighborhood with power. Our animal kingdon servived Ike!!!

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs