Thursday, September 3, 2009

Summer Lives!

Believe me when I say... the days of sitting around and doing nothing are officially over. However, summer lives in the Norwood household through our nightly dinner of tomatoes. Well, we don't JUST have tomatoes for dinner, but we definitely could. We have tomatoes every night because they are still good, and I don't want to miss one day of goodness. Lately I've been making a simple panzanella salad I found in Cooking Light. There is some sort of magical synergy in this dish. It comes together super quickly with very few ingredients, but the taste is incredible. You have to try it before the tomatoes are gone!!

Panzanella Salad
From Cooking Light, August 2009

Ingredients
3 ounces sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (2 [1 1/2-ounce] slices)
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 garlic clove, minced
1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pitted kalamata olives (about 8)
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
1 tomato, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 English cucumber, halved and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Place bread cubes in a jelly-roll pan; bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until crisp, stirring once. Cool completely.
3. Combine vinegar and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) in a large bowl. Add bread cubes, onion, and remaining ingredients, tossing gently to coat. Serve immediately.

P.S. Sorry I've been M.I.A. You know the drill. Eat, sleep, teach. But, we are going to A&M tomorrow for opening weekend. I am SO excited! I'll be back soon with some Aggie stories and pictures for you.

Katie

No comments:

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs