Friday, April 27, 2012

Overnight Oatmeal


If you've been on Pinterest for more than five minutes (and we all know I have), you have undoubtedly seen at least 100 pins for overnight oatmeal. I've always loved oatmeal.  I don't really love the super sweet instant oatmeal packets, but the regular oatmeal is a bit of a time commitment to make in the morning.  Still, it seems like everyone sings the health benefits of oatmeal, so I try to eat it at least a few times a week.  I was intrigued by this "overnight oatmeal" that everyone was buzzing about on Pinterest.  I scoured a few blogs with different versions.  Some versions people complained were too chewy or made them nauseous.  Um, no thanks.  Then I found this one recipe from a blogger who claimed that she made many versions, and this was the best. I liked all of the ingredients, so I figured I'd give it a try. 

Oh My.  It is so good.  Every night now, I make the three minute investment in this oatmeal, and come morning, I am really happy I did.  No cooking required!  I love that this overnight oatmeal is not too soggy and not too chewy.  The texture is perfect.  Also, it's only slightly sweet, which I love.  Finally, the fruit stays firm, and the coconut adds a little crunch.  If you haven't tried overnight oatmeal, I highly recommend this recipe!  I'm still enjoying it, but I may play around with some variations in the future.  The sky is the limit - you could add any milk, fruit, nut, or add-in you want!  Most people on Pinterest make their overnight oatmeal in cute-sy little Mason jars and sometimes they put little bows on them.  I mean, really?  Sorry, I don't have those.  I just have Ziplock plastic containers.  It tastes just as good.  Keepin' it real.

Mango-Coconut Overnight Oatmeal
In a resealable container, mix:

3/4 cup rolled oats (regular, not quick)
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 T. shredded sweetened coconut
1 t. agave nectar (add more if you like it sweeter)
1 chopped mango (the smaller champagne mangoes are the best)

Seal the container and place it in the refrigerator overnight.  In the morning, stir and eat!  This morning I threw a handful of blueberries on top.  Yum!!  I wake up looking forward to getting this out of the refrigerator!

1 comment:

Mindy Rives said...

Just made this....can't wait to eat it in the morning!

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs