Tuesday, August 5, 2008

So I Think I Can Dance

That’s right. I do. And it’s all because of one reality TV show. I’ve never taken a dance class in my life! But there is something inspiring about So You Think You Can Dance. The dancing on this show is beautiful and joyful. If I could do my life over, I would try to be a really good dancer. I honestly think that being a dancer would be so fun. I’m obsessed with movies like “Centerstage” and I have (way more than once) imagined myself attending Julliard and then performing in the NYC ballet or on Broadway.

That’s why I love So You Think You Can Dance. They make it look so easy like anyone can do it. After I watch an episode of SYTYCD, I’m just about ready to look up a dance studio on the internet and give it a try! I’m not gonna lie: when no one is looking, I do a leap or two down the hallway just to see how it feels. Or, I’ll do some elaborate hand/arm movement in an attempt to mimic one of their “contemporary” pieces. I never do it in front of a mirror, so it always looks really good in my head. This has been a problem of mine for a while. As a kid, I desperately wanted to be an Olympic gymnast. Ha! I would sit and stretch in front of the TV while I watched the Olympics. Like that would help me. Am I crazy or do other people have these delusions as well?

If you don’t watch the show, I can’t help you except to say go to fox.com/dance and catch up, people! You can start watching tonight at 7:00. But if you do watch the show, here are my favorite dances of the season, and I hope you agree:

Will & Katee: Contemporary piece to "I’ll Never See Me Again" using the doorway as a prop
Joshua & Katee: Contemporary piece to "Hometown Glory"
Joshua & Katee: Contemporary piece to "All By Myself"
Joshua & Chelsea: Disco piece to "Everlasting Love" (SO FUN!!!)
Mark & Courtney: Contemporary piece to "The Garden" (the French burlesque)
Will & Jessica: Contemporary piece to "Silence" (the Garden of Eden piece)
Mark & Chelsea: Hip Hop piece to "Bleeding Love" (WOW!)
Summary: I love Joshua & Katee. I love contemporary.

Look these dances up on YouTube. You will not be disappointed.

I’ll leave you with one of my favorite SYTYCD dances of all time. This was Hok and Jamie in season 3. It’s called “The Hummingbird and the Flower.” If it’s not art, I don’t know what is. Enjoy! (I could do this dance, right?)


2 comments:

Chopsticks and Pearls said...

oh my gosh! I couldn't agree more about your favorite dances. I loved "The Garden" and "Bleeding Love"....and the first one. Katie is amazing....but I LOVE Joshua! I'm so ready to take a dance class too....maybe contemporary?!?! :) ha ha.

Lindsay said...

Hey Gigs! I feel ya on wanting to take a class. All i know is that I'm gonna seriously rock as a dancer in heaven. so turns out...i think i may have some pics of you with those dancey hand poses :)

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs