Friday, August 22, 2008

Thoughts on Superwoman

She doesn't exist.

I've been MIA this week because I've been living and breathing seventh grade. Summer is officially over and my life has been taken over. I know, I know... it doesn't have to be this way. One should strive to have BALANCE in life. Blah, blah, blah. I've come to the conclusion that you just can't have it all. For example, how EXACTLY am I supposed to fit all of this into one day?

Wake up at 5:00
Shower and get ready
Fix breakfast
Fix lunch for Brent & myself
Check email
Drive 30 min. to school
Make copies
Teach from 7:30 - 4:30 dealing with demanding kids (and adults) all day
Have meetings after school and during school
Leave around 6:00 and drive 30 minutes home
Go to the grocery
Cook dinner
Clean up dinner
Have a quiet time
Play with Blazer
Work out
Clean up the house
Grade papers
Plan Lessons
Answer phone calls from parents and students
Blog
Have quality time with my husband
And maybe, just maybe..... sit down and rest???

Answer: Not possible. I've tried.

The problem is that I REALLY like my work, and I feel like I have a few good years left before having kids of my own (and I realize my daily list will get even longer then!), so I sort of want to give it my all. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. :-)

On a related note, Brent sent me this article a few weeks ago and I thought it was interesting.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/08/05/lw.nokids.nojob.wives/index.html
If you don't have time to read it, basically, it says that the new "status symbol" is a "stay at home wife". No kids, no job. The lady in the article says she does laundry, does errands, cooks, etc. At first I thought it was ridiculous. Who does that? But I have to say... some days it sounds good!

Here's to Friday. I survived the first week.

Katie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know what, I love that blogging made the list of "to do's" because I love reading blogs. But, to answer your question, I often wonder how it all gets done in one 24-hour span. Something that works really well for us, and it is just an understanding, is that I make dinner and Dave does the dishes. He literally clears the plates and takes it from there. I can either move on to my next "to do" or I just sit on the couch and rest! And it works for him too because he can rest or get something done while I'm making dinner. It only helps with one phase of the game, but it does help! And Dave is realyl good about helping with laundry! As long as both of us work, it takes 2 to make the house run. I do all that I can, but he is USUALLY good about helping out. :) Good luck!

allison said...

during the school year, i think the same thoughts that are in your blog pretty much every single day. is it may yet?

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs